Money Mentors tips on how to enjoy Calgary Stampede without breaking the bank
It seems just yesterday we were shoveling snow. Fast forward a few months and at last, summer has arrived, and the Calgary Stampede is just around the corner!
The Calgary Stampede attracts more than a million attendees from international tourists to Albertans and many local patrons. As Calgary gears up for the “Greatest Outdoor Show on Earth”, it is best to preplan your trip to avoid breaking the bank.
Money Mentors has helped thousands of Albertans discover financial freedom through debt consolidation, money coaching and financial literacy education. This year, we provide you with our top 5 useful tips on how to enjoy the Calgary Stampede on a budget!
Ticket prices at the door can be expensive. The ‘Stampede Superpass’ is a great option if you are looking to go to the grounds more than once. At $39 per pass, you get unlimited admission at a set price, saving you money and keeping yourself from overspending. Offer is available until June 11 at selected grocery stores, such as Calgary Safeway or Ticketmaster. Free Admission It pays to go early on select days. Throughout the 10 days of the Calgary Stampede, exclusive “value days” are offered for cowboys and cowgirls of all ages!
- Sneak-A Peek (Free for children under 6) | 5pm – 1am, July 5, 2018
- Parade Day | 11am – 1:30pm, July 6, 2018
- Cenovus Family Day | 8am – 11am, Sunday July 8, 2018
- Seniors Day (Ages 65+) | 10am – Midnight, July 10, 2018
- BMO Kids’ Day | 7am – 11am, July 11, 2018
Transportation Save money on gas and be friendly to the environment with the following options:
- Calgary Transit: Check out the discounted transit day-pass valid for one full day at a special price! Passes are available for pre-purchase now or through ticket vending machines at CTrain stations
- Carpool: Travelling in groups can be tough, especially with children. If you are attending the grounds in a large group, consider carpooling with others. If someone you know have a larger car or van, travel together to save gas and time to find parking.
- Free Parking: Although free parking may be hard to come by, if you must commute with your own vehicle, try to find free parking or park at a park-and-ride lot and take public transportation to the grounds.
Budget Prior to visiting the Stampede grounds, plan ahead to manage expenses and avoid overspending– create a budget, consider different interests and decide how much you can spend during the day. Keep yourself on track with Money Mentors Budget Planning Spreadsheet and check out our resources page for other financial tools and tips.
Stampede Bucks: Did you know you can pre-purchase Stampede Bucks to spend like cash on the grounds? For $39.99 you can purchase 10 Stampede Bucks, valued at $5 a piece. These bucks are valid for the rodeo and evening show, Midway games and rides or for retail shopping at selected stores. Stampede Bucks are available for sale at any Calgary located Costco.
Free Events Calgary’s national and international identity is tied to the Calgary Stampede. The city comes to life with various events throughout the city. If the grounds are less of your scene, the city offers plenty of free events during this time to celebrate our western culture! More information can be found on the Calgary Stampede website.
Free Breakfasts There is nothing that screams Stampede like the sizzling sounds of sausages and the smell of delicious pancakes in the air! During the 10 days of Stampede, there are various businesses and locations offering free breakfasts in the city. On July 7th, join Money Mentors’ mascot Penny the Pig and Penelope the Clown for a fun morning, as we enjoy a wonderful breakfast catered by Lino’s Catering and music by Canadian Singer/Songwriter, Lori Kole!
Money Mentors is a not-for-profit credit counselling and money coaching agency, serving Albertans since 1997. Our passionate staff will be on-site this day should you have any questions or if you like to book an appointment for a FREE credit assessment, please contact us at: 1-888-294-0076 or email client services at CSRmail@moneymentors.ca; services available throughout Alberta.